Friday, October 07, 2005

A Day in the Life

One evening last September, I was heading home to my apartment from the Ateneo Law School's LSAC (Law Student Activity Center). I was studying all day and all evening until 1:30 A.M. Since I don't have a car and it would be a bummer to walk from Rockwell to EDSA, I took a cab. There, I had a pleasure conversing with the taxi driver.
"You work in a call center," he asked.
"No," I said. "There are no call centers in Rockwell, God forbid."
"Why are you going home late at night," the cab driver asked.
"I just came from school. I have an exam this Sunday that may determine the outcome of my fate," I replied. I mumbled whether I could finish my cigarette.
"Sure. I like cigarettes. I just had one before you hopped in."
"I hate cigarettes. It will kill me. I hope I never learned this disgusting habit."
"Everyone dies," he replied. "It's all a matter of time."
"I hope I won't die before Sunday. Otherwise, today would be waste. It's my birthday and I spent all day studying," I said while laughing.
"Indeed it will be. A person in the prime of his life. What are studying?"
"Law. I already graduated. I'm studying because I'll be taking the bar exam this Sunday."
"I hear law school is tough. Ten years before you graduate and become a lawyer..."
"Actually, it ain't that hard when you think about it. By the way, spending four years in college and four or maybe five years in law school won't guarantee you becoming a lawyer. You have to pass the bar exams first. For some, it took them two decades before they passed the bar."
"How lucky you are. I didn't go to college and I've been spending the last ten years driving a cab to feed my starving wife and kid."
"We're pretty much in this same shit. I've spent the last decade studying hoping that one day, I'll have a wife and a kid to come home to. For that you are lucky. But I’m starving now though.”
“Why do you want to be a lawyer?”
“Because of my dad when I was young. So that chicks will dig me while I was in college. Now, I just want to imprison thieves in the government that steal from the taxes that people like you cough up every year.”
“I don’t pay my income taxes. And if I ever do, I’ll lie about it.”
“ Well, it’s not my business to meddle with your affairs but I think it is better than having your Congressman steal your hard-earned money from you.”
“Yeah, that’s true. By the way, where will we turn left?”
“At Filmore.”
“I hope you do well this Sunday.”
“I hope so. The Criminal Law exams last week was awful…”
“That is why there are many criminals in this country. If lawyers cannot understand it, how can a layman understand it?”
“You are probably correct. Unless you are working for the Prosecutor’s Office. You can get fired there if you do not know your criminal law. But some get off the hook for gross ignorance of the law. One of them even became your COMELEC Chairman.”
“Yes, I hate him. I hate Gloria. I hate Drilon. I hate Cory. In fact, I hate them all. Who are they to dictate what will happen to this country. They can’t help ordinary people like me. They can’t even give an answer to the rising oil prices. I only take home a hundred fifty a day when I used to take home five hundred…”
“Everyone hates them. That is why I will never be a politician. But I’ll be happy to send one in prison though. Hang them all.”
“Yes, that will save this country. Kill them all.”
“I will disembark beside the basketball court.”
“Ok.”
“How much do I owe you?”
“Sixty-five pesos.”
“Here take eighty. The extra is for the gas.”
“Thank you. Happy birthday to you huh.”
“Oh well, thanks.”
I waved goodbye to the cab driver. It made me reflect how two strangers can exchange a pleasant conversation and get to know a lot from one another in such a short period of time. Some married couples cannot even have that luxury. So my birthday ends. But wait, I ended earlier when I ordered a pizza for Xilca, Rosa, Kanna and all the LSAC people. Oh well, I am going to close my eyes now. Septembers… Bar Examinations… What a weird day to spend my birthday. Or was it? Or was it just a day in the life, my oh so ordinary life. I am really going to sleep now. People should not live like this.#

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home